If you’re looking for a way to protect your investments, a custom metal garage is one of the most cost-effective options. Metal garages are durable, long-lasting, and resistant to extreme weather conditions.
When it comes to building a metal garage, you have a lot of options. You could build your garage from scratch, purchase a prefabricated garage, or invest in a metal garage kit. Metal garage kits are unique in that the components are prefabricated, but the customer is responsible for the installation. With that in mind, the following is everything you need to know about metal garage kits.
What Makes Steel Garage Kits Different?
The following are a few of the ways that steel garage kits are unique compared to other types of garages:
- Strength: Steel is one of the strongest materials available, making it perfect for high-stress applications like garages. It’s much more damage-resistant than traditional wood construction, which means it can withstand long-term exposure to the elements.
- Longevity: Steel is also extremely durable, meaning it won’t rot, mold, or weaken over time like other materials. This makes steel garage kits a great long-term investment.
- Cost-efficiency: Metal garage kits are surprisingly affordable. They require fewer materials than traditional construction. They can also be assembled without the help of a professional, helping save money on labour costs.
- Customizability: Steel garage kits can be customized to your exact needs. Whether you need a single-car, two-car, or three-car garage, you can easily find a kit that fits your needs. You also have the option to add features like insulation, windows, and doors.
- Expandability: Steel garage kits are extremely easy to expand. If you need additional space, you can easily add to it without having to start from scratch or worry about time-consuming construction. This makes it easy to increase the size of your garage as you need.
What Factors Make a Garage Kit a Great Investment?
There are a lot of unique benefits to metal garages. However, there are also several factors that make them a great investment as well, including:
- Increases Your Property Value: Installing a metal garage can add value to your property and make it easier to sell. Because metal garages provide flexible space that can be used for a wide range of purposes while requiring minimal maintenance, they are very appealing to potential buyers.
- Creates Storage Space: Metal garages can be used for a variety of storage solutions, from keeping your vehicle safe from the elements to providing much-needed space for storing items like tools and gardening equipment. As a result, the addition of a metal garage can help keep your home or business less cluttered and more organized.
- Living Space: Steel garages can be customized to become living spaces. For example, they can easily be used as a home office, workout area, or artist studio. They can also be turned into a game room, man cave, or additional living space for family members.
- Multi-Purpose Space: Steel garages can also be used for multiple purposes. For example, it can be used as a garage, living space, storage space, workshop, and even as a guest room if properly insulated.
Location-Based Considerations that Affect the Design & Cost of Your Steel Garage
When designing a custom metal garage kit, there are a few things you’ll need to think about based on where you’re located. The following are a few considerations to keep in mind that can affect not only how you need to design your garage but how much it will cost as well:
- Wind Load: Depending on where you live, you may need to consider wind load regulations. This means you’ll need to construct your garage so that it is able to withstand high winds.
- Snow Load: Similarly, if you live in an area with heavy snowfall, you may need to factor this into the design of your garage. This means you’ll need to consider the weight of snow and make sure your structure is able to support it.
- Seismic Conditions: Depending on where you live, you may need to factor in seismic conditions as well. This means taking into account the stability of your structure and making sure it is able to withstand the movement created by earthquakes or tremors.
- Size: The size of your structure can also affect the cost. If you opt for a larger garage kit, it will require more materials, which will increase the price. Of course, you’ll want to make sure the size of the garage will meet your needs.
When customizing your metal garage kit, there are several accessories you may want to consider. For example, if you plan to use the garage for storing larger vehicles and equipment, you may want sliding doors or taller overhead doors. If you’re going to use your garage as a workspace or a living space, you may want to add man doors, windows, skylights, vents, and insulation.
Tools You Need to Assemble Your Steel Garage Kit
Although your steel garage kit will come with detailed instructions and will be easy to assemble without having to hire a professional construction crew, you will still need several tools to do so. The following are the tools you may need to assemble your metal garage kit:
- Extension Ladder: An extension ladder will allow you to reach higher parts of the roof without having to use scaffolding. An extension ladder also provides extra stability when you’re working on the roof.
- Screw Gun or Power Drill: These tools will help you easily and quickly install the screws.
In addition to the specialized tools mentioned above, you may also need a few other basic tools, including the following:
- Level & Plumb Bob
- Tape measure
Your One-Stop Destination to Buy Steel Garage Kits in Canada
At Future Buildings, we make it easy for you to get the perfect steel garage kit for your needs. We are a one-stop destination for all your steel building needs and can help you design a custom garage kit that meets the requirements of your area. For more information about our metal building kits and all of our customization options, be sure to contact us online or call us at 1-800-668-5111 to speak with one of our building specialists today.