A Quonset hut is a prefabricated structure composed of a series of arches, typically made from corrugated steel. They are known for their versatility and reliability but are also popular due to their affordability, which is why they are suitable for a wide variety of applications. Quonset huts boast a clear-span interior space, which means that they can be customized to fit your needs, whether you need office space, warehouse space, or even manufacturing space.
One benefit that makes Quonset huts so appealing to businesses is that they are easy to construct. The components of a Quonset hut are pre-cut and drilled, which means that they can be easily assembled on-site. As a result, you won’t need to hire a team of professional contractors to build your Quonset hut, eliminating high labour costs.
It is easy to assemble your Quonset hut even if you don’t have any construction experience. If you’re thinking about building your prefabricated Quonset hut yourself, be sure to use the following guide on how to do so:
How to Build a Quonset Hut Yourself
The following is a step-by-step guide on how you can build a Quonset hut without any professional help:
- Planning: The first step is to create a plan for your Quonset hut. You’ll need to decide on the size of the hut, its purpose, and where you’ll be placing it. You’ll need to draw up a floor plan that includes the interior and exterior details. Finally, you’ll need to establish a budget for your project.
- Preparing the Foundation: Because Quonset huts are built out of metal, heavy excavation work won’t be needed. As such, a slab foundation will often suffice. If you’re planning a large Quonset hut, you may need extra reinforcement. You’ll want to speak with the factory engineers for advice.
- Flooring: Generally speaking, Quonset huts utilize concrete flooring. If you want to have something different such as tile or laminate, you will need to have it installed.
- Assemble the Arches: This step is where the DIY process for constructing your Quonset hut really comes into play. The pre-measured, pre-drilled panels are loosely bolted together on the ground. These connected pieces form the arches for your structure.
- Raise the Arches: After the arches are assembled, you’ll have to raise them. Make sure to tighten each nut, bolt, and screw individually.
- Repeat Steps 4 & 5: Follow steps 4 and 5 until each arch is assembled and raised. Everything should be properly secured.
- Installing Endwalls: Once the arches are raised and secured, your framework will be complete. At this point, you can begin installing the end walls.
- Installing Insulation: After you’ve installed the end walls, you can insulate your structure. At Future Buildings, we carry insulation that is perfectly sized to fit your steel building.
- Finishing Touch: To complete your Quonset hut, put the finishing touches on your building. This includes finishing all interior and exterior work, such as installing lighting, bringing in equipment, and more.
Things to Consider When Buying a Quonset Hut
Even though assembling a Quonset hut is easy, you’ll still want to think about whether a Quonset hut meets your unique needs before making a purchase. The following are a few questions you should be sure to ask when determining what type of building will suit your business best:
- Is a Quonset hut right for you? The traditional aesthetic doesn’t suit everyone. However, the durability, resistance to damage, usable space, and affordability of a Quonset hut may make it the perfect solution for your business needs.
- How will you use the building? Quonset huts are very versatile in how you can use them. They can be used for both residential and commercial purposes. For example, they are commonly used for airport hangars, production facilities, barns, storage, garages, sheds, and even homes.
- What size building do you need? Our Quonset huts can be customized to be as wide as 125 feet. Because of the way they are constructed, they can be as long as you need them to be.
- What’s your budget? There are a lot of factors that determine how much a Quonset hut costs, including how big you need it to be and what kind of features you want to add. However, because you don’t need to pay for professional labour to assemble it, a Quonset hut is often more affordable than other types of building options.
- What are your load requirements? When deciding on what type of building you want, it’s important to take load requirements into consideration. If you live in an area that experiences heavy snowfall, you’ll want to make sure your building can withstand the weight. In this case, a steel Quonset building is one of your best options.
- Who is going to build it? Although you could hire a construction crew, if you’re building a prefabricated Quonset hut, you could do without one. However, if your Quonset hut is extremely large, you may need professional help, especially if you don’t have any additional hands to help out.
- What’s your deadline? If you need to get your building up and running as quickly as possible, then a Quonset hut is a good option as assembly can be completed within a few days Additionally, there won’t be any delays gathering materials since everything is prefabricated and delivered to you.
Use of Quonset Huts for Different Businesses
Because of the clear-span open space of a Quonset hut, you can use it for any type of business need. Quonset huts have been used for all types of businesses, from office spaces and warehouses to restaurants and storefronts.
Low Construction Cost
Because the components of a Quonset hut are prefabricated and assembly can be done quickly without professional help, you can keep your construction costs low. This can be essential if you’re working with a limited budget.
Quonset huts are extremely durable and resistant to the elements, fire, and pests. They also require no long-term maintenance, making them a fantastic investment for your business. Additionally, we use Galvalume Plus™ steel to prefabricate all our metal buildings. This is one of the highest quality steels available for construction. In fact, all our steel Quonset hut buildings come with a 40-year rust perforation warranty to back the quality of the steel.
Contact Us to Get a Quonset Hut for Your Business
If you think that a Quonset hut will satisfy the building needs of your business, then be sure to contact us today by filling out our online form or calling us at 1-800-688-5111. We have several different Quonset hut styles to choose from. Additionally, you can further customize your Quonset hut with a wide range of features, from windows and doors to vents and insulation.