When it comes to buildings, different types of structures were created to serve a specific function. A barn is a perfect example of this. It’s a building traditionally used to store and shelter animals, feed, and agricultural equipment. However, modern life has led to a demand for more from our farm buildings.
Metal buildings are a versatile and economical way to meet the needs of today’s farmers. This type of construction is ideal for farm buildings because it can handle wind and snow loads and provides a clear, open interior space.
What makes this type of construction particularly beneficial is that it can be used to serve countless purposes on your farm. With that in mind, the following are just a few ways that you can use our steel barn buildings to your advantage:
Dairy Barn Ideas
A dairy barn must be large enough to house your milking cows and provide storage space for feed and bedding. It also needs to have an area where you can milk your cows in a clean and efficient manner. As such, a metal building is the perfect solution as it allows you to do the following:
- Maximize the width of your space: Traditional dairy barns are often narrow, making it difficult to move around the animals and equipment. Our post-frame metal buildings can be designed with wider bays to provide more space for your herd.
- Install windows, ventilation, and fans: Good ventilation is crucial in a dairy barn to keep the air fresh and prevent the spread of disease. Our steel buildings can be outfitted with sidewalls that can be opened to allow fresh air in. You can also install fans and vents to help circulate the air.
- Use wide lanes to make feeding easier: Cows need to be fed twice a day, which can be a lot of work if your barn is narrow. With our metal buildings, you can have wide lanes that make it easy to move around and feed your cows.
Animal Housing Ideas
You can easily design your metal building to serve as animal housing. Additionally, our buildings can be designed with wide doors and high ceilings to make it easy to move around and care for your animals. The following are a few ways to customize your building for this purpose:
- Use curtain walls indoors to keep animals comfortable and protected: Curtain walls are a type of wall that can be opened and closed. This is beneficial because you can open them to provide fresh air and space or close them to separate the animals.
- Give livestock shelter from the summer sun: Our buildings can be designed as open-air barns with a free stall area so your livestock can retreat to the shade to stay comfortable during the hotter days of the year.
- Create a safe outdoor space: You can add fencing and gating around your metal building to create a safe place outdoors. Large sliding doors allow for easy access to the outside. This is beneficial because it allows your animals to get fresh air and exercise.
Equipment & Large Item Storage Ideas
Having space to store equipment, tools, and more is crucial to anyone with a farm. With a metal building, you can:
- Enjoy extra-large doors: Barns allow you to implement extra-large doors, which make it easy to store and access larger farm equipment, such as tractors and combines.
- Fit more than in a large garage or storage shed: Because of the open floor plan of a metal building, you can easily store more items in it than you could in a smaller garage or storage shed.
- Create convenient office space: Adding an office into your building is easy and gives you a dedicated area to manage finances, sales, and more.
Crop Storage Ideas
Metal buildings are perfect for storing crops and hay as they allow you to:
- Protect hay, feed, and crops more effectively: Metal buildings provide more protection from the elements than wooden structures. Additionally, metal buildings are more resistant to pests, such as rodents and insects.
- Use larger doors for easier access: Our buildings can be outfitted with taller or wider doors to make it easier to load and unload hay. You could also add a loft area for even more storage.
Multi-Use Farm Building Ideas
Metal farm buildings can be used for much more than just keeping livestock or storing equipment. The following are some ideas for how you could use them on your farm:
- Make it suitable for a variety of work: A metal barn doesn’t have to be limited to just one purpose. You can use it to store equipment as well as add on an office and even a deck with a porch overhang to improve its function.
- Add features for both form and function: You can add all types of features, from windows and doors to vents and insulation, to improve both the function and aesthetic of your barn.
- Add a mezzanine and office space to your machine shop: If you’re using your building as a machine shop, you could include a mezzanine area for extra storage. You could also add an office space to work on paperwork and other tasks away from the noise of the machines.
- Protect equipment with a concrete floor: Installing a concrete floor in your post-frame metal building will help to protect stored equipment from moisture and pests. Plus, it will make it easier to clean.
- Add a mechanic’s work trench: If you’re using your metal building as a garage, you could add a mechanic’s work trench. This would give you a place to work on vehicles without having to crawl under them.
Metal Barn Door Ideas
Your barn’s doors are crucial to its ability to function as intended. A metal barn provides more flexibility regarding the types of doors you can install. For example, you can do the following:
- Use sliding doors for greater cost-effectiveness: Sliding doors can be built in almost any size to accommodate your needs and are easy to open and close, no matter how big they are. They can be built in a single piece or split in the middle, lending to their cost-effectiveness.
- Enjoy the convenience of an overhead door for frequent use: Although more expensive than sliding doors, overhead doors are extremely convenient if you need to open and close them frequently.
- Move extra-large equipment in and out easily with a hydraulic door: If you have extra-large equipment that needs to be moved in and out of your barn, a hydraulic door is the way to go. This type of door is operated by a motor and can be opened and closed with the push of a button.
Get High-Grade Steel Farm Buildings with Customization Options
Here at Future Buildings, we offer a wide range of prefabricated metal building kits, including barns and Quonset buildings made from high-grade steel that can be customized to meet your specific needs. For more information about our metal farm buildings or to request a free quote, contact us online or call us at 1-800-668-5111.