Storage sheds are an ideal solution if you’re running out of space or want to keep the clutter out of your garage. A storage shed can be used to store lawn equipment, tools, things you don’t have room for in your home, seasonal items, or anything else you need to keep out of the way. They’re extremely versatile as you can build them to fit your specific needs and put them almost anywhere on your property. With that in mind, the following is a brief guide to help you get started.
How to Organize a Storage Shed
Even though a backyard storage shed will give you the extra space you need, you’ll still want to make the most of it. The following are a few tips on how to organize your storage shed so that you can use the space efficiently:
- Build Shelves: Shelves will allow you to store items off the ground and make better use of the vertical space. Not only will you help keep the floor clear, but you’ll make your items more accessible.
- Create Zones: Creating zones means designating areas of the shed for specific purposes. For example, you could have a gardening zone that contains all your lawn and garden equipment.
- Keep What You Use: Building a storage shed to store things you never use is pointless. If you find that you’re not using something, get rid of it. This will free up valuable space in your shed that can be used to store items that you actually use.
- Hang Things Up on the Wall: The wall space in a storage shed often goes unused. Putting up shelves is one way to take advantage of your wall space. Another way is to hang things up. This could include rakes, shovels, hoses, or anything else that can be hung up.
- Keep it Safe: The last thing you want is someone tripping over clutter or having a shelf fall over because you stored too many heavy items on the top. Be careful about how you organize your shed and keep safety in mind.
3 Tips for Extra Benefits
The following are a few extra tips to help ensure that your storage shed is everything you need it to be:
- Installation: Make sure that your storage shed is safe and secure wherever you install it. As such, you’ll need to use a strong, level base to build your shed. If you don’t install the shed properly, it may not be level, leaving it vulnerable to flooding and other issues.
- Security Extras: If you’re storing valuable items in your shed, consider adding some security extras, such as a padlock or security system.
- Accessories: Accessories make your shed more functional and enjoyable. This could include a workbench, shelving, hooks, or anything else that you think would be helpful. Adding window boxes to the shed’s windows can also brighten it up and make it look more inviting as well.
Backyard Storage Shed Ideas
Adding a storage shed to your backyard can be a great way to increase the amount of space you have for storage. The following are just a few ideas for how you could use your storage shed:
- Wood Storage: Keeping your wood outside isn’t the best idea since you’ll leave it exposed to the elements as well as to pests. A storage shed will keep your wood dry and keep it organized.
- Garden Shed: A storage shed can also be a great place to store your gardening tools and supplies. This way, you can have everything organized in one place, and you won’t have to worry about leaving them out in the elements. Additionally, you won’t have to bring them inside your house, where they will take up space and make a mess.
- Mini Barn: If you have any animals or outdoor pets, you may want to consider setting up a storage shed as a mini barn. This way, you can store their food, bedding, and other supplies in one place. If your area experiences severe weather conditions, it can provide them with a place to go to get out of the cold or heat.
- Greenhouse: You can also use your storage shed as a greenhouse. Setting up a greenhouse lets you get a head start on your gardening by growing seedlings in it. If you live somewhere with a short growing season, a greenhouse can extend the amount of time you have to grow plants. Finally, if you set up shelves inside, you can easily store potting soil, fertilizer, and other gardening supplies.
- She Sheds: In recent years, “she sheds” have become popular. These are storage sheds that are specifically designed for women and can be used as a place to get away from it all. She sheds can be decorated and furnished however you want and can be used for a variety of purposes such as reading, crafting, working on hobbies, or relaxing.
Highest Quality Storage Shed Material
When it comes to building a backyard storage shed, you’ll want to make sure to use the highest quality material to ensure that it’s durable and long-lasting. Here at Future Buildings, we custom design our prefabricated storage sheds using the highest quality steel available.
Galvalume Plus™ steel is made up of 55% aluminum and 45% zinc. It has a clear acrylic coating that protects the steel from rust and corrosion, making it ideal for storage shed material. It even comes with a 40-year warranty against rust perforation.
We Offer Highly Secure Backyard Storage Steel Buildings
Storage sheds make great additions to any backyard. They provide additional space for storage as well as the potential for other uses. For more information about our storage shed options or to request a quote, contact Future Buildings today by calling 1-800-688-5111.