A metal carport is an excellent option to protect your vehicles and belongings from the elements if you’re looking for an alternative to a fully enclosed garage space. Prefabricated metal carport kits provide enough flexibility that you can use them for a variety of purposes besides protection, including an open-air workshop or covered space to keep lawn furniture. With that in mind, the following is a guide to everything you need to know about metal carport kits.
Advantages of a DIY Metal Carport Kit
The following are a few of the primary benefits of investing in a metal carport kit:
- Affordability: Carports don’t have sides, which means there are not many components. As a result, carports are often cheaper than other building types. Not to mention, you won’t have to pay a construction team to build your carport since they are easy to DIY.
- DIY assembly: If you enjoy DIY projects, you’ll love the convenience of assembling a metal carport kit. The components come with detailed instructions that make it easy to build on your own.
- Quick assembly: Assembling your carport is not only easy, but it won’t take very long. As such, you won’t have the stress of dealing with a construction project that drags on for weeks.
- Effective protection: A carport is a great solution if you want to provide shelter to your vehicle from the elements, including exposure to rain and sun.
How to Assemble a DIY Carport Kit
Assembling your carport kit is easy, but there are still a few things that you will need to do, including the following:
- Preparing the Site and Laying Foundation: You need a level and strong foundation to build your carport. If you already have that, then you’re set. If not, you’ll need to level the site, remove obstructions, and possibly create a stronger foundation, which can be done by laying a concrete pad or packing the soil with gravel.
- Familiarize Yourself with the Components and the Drawings: Understanding how the components fit together with the drawings is integral to assembling your carport. Take the time to go through the itemized list that is included with your kit, so you are familiar with the pieces when the time comes for assembly.
- Assembling the DIY Metal Carport Kit: Once you understand the components and have reviewed the instructions, you will need to assemble the carport. The included instructions are easy to follow and can help you get your carport up quickly.
5 Tips to Build a Carport with Ease
To make the process of assembling your metal carport as easy as possible, be sure to follow these five tips:
- Get your permits early: It can take a few days to get approved, so apply for your building permits as soon as possible.
- Locate utility lines: If you need to level your site, get a professional to do it. Utility lines, such as gas and water pipes, may be located underground and must be avoided.
- Have a plan: Know exactly where you plan to build your carport, how much space is available on your site, and how big your carport needs to be. This ensures that your carport meets your needs within the available space.
- Choose metal: Metal carports are much more durable than other materials and are resistant to pests, fire, and mold growth. Metal frames require little maintenance and will last much longer.
- Align your posts: Make sure that the posts are aligned properly before you start assembling them. This will ensure the building process goes smoothly.
FAQs About Metal Carport Kits
The following are a few common questions people have about metal carports:
Do I Need to Get a Permit to Build a Carport?
You will likely need to obtain a permit from your local building authority before constructing a carport on your property. The requirements may vary depending on your location, so make sure to check the local regulations before starting.
Is It Cheaper to Build a DIY Carport Kit?
Yes. Because you can assemble a DIY carport kit yourself, you won’t have to pay a construction company to build it for you.
Is It Possible to Build a Garage from A Carport?
Yes, in most circumstances. If you’re unsure whether you might prefer a fully enclosed garage at some point in the future, you can often easily convert a carport into a garage.
What Makes the Metal Carports from Future Buildings Unique
Our metal carport kits can be tailored to your specific size specifications. Not to mention, they are manufactured out of Galvalume Plus™ Steel, one of the most durable, corrosion-resistant metals available. In fact, we even offer a 40-year warranty on all of our metal buildings against rust perforation.
Buy a DIY Steel Carport Kit from Future Buildings
At Future Buildings, we make it easy to purchase a DIY steel carport kit. Our metal carports are engineered and designed for easy assembly and come with detailed, step-by-step instructions. For an estimate or information about our other steel building kits, contact us online or call us at 1-800-668-5111 today.